In the Ancient Scriptures of India, the spine was referred to as ‘Merudanda‘. Meaning, the axis of the universe. Why our backbone was given such a divine meaning? It is because a man’s backbone controls the flow of life to the every cell in the body. Since, backbone has such a vital role for life, ancient scriptures of India prescribes various techniques and methodologies to keep it healthy, so that the life can achieve its full potential.
One of the 4 Vedas, called ‘Rig Veda’ which is dated 1500 BC describes a practice called ‘Surya Namaskara‘. In literal English terms it can be translated to ‘Sun Salutation’. It is a simple yet powerful Kriya (i.e. technique) to revitalize your spine from the top to bottom.
3500 years have been passed since the inception of Sun Salutation Kriya and we are still discovering newer and newer benefits. It helps in better functioning of the body and mental faculties. Here are a few benefits of Sun Salutation Kriya:
- Makes spine strong and flexible
- Brings psychological balance
- Improves blood circulation
- Strengthens the heart
- Tones the digestive tract
- Stimulates abdominal muscles, respiratory system, lymphatic system, spinal nerves and other internal organs
- Tones the spine, neck, shoulder, arms, hands, wrist, back and leg muscles, thereby increasing overall flexibility
- Boosts the energy levels with sharpened awareness
- Promotes weight loss
- Increase skin glow and health
How To Perform Sun Salutation Kriya:
In conclusion, Sun Salutation Kriya is an ancient gem that has a potential to transform one’s life and not just the back pain. Have you ever tried it before?
Which is your favorite exercise or yoga practice that has worked wonders for your back pain?